Goodreads’ Book Description:
A new adult novel that perfectly captures the existential angst of your early twenties with raw wit, fresh insight, and true feeling from a critically adored USA TODAY bestselling author.
Joshua Miles has spent his early twenties spinning his wheels. Working dead-end jobs and living at home has left him exhausted and uninspired, with little energy to pursue his passion for graphic art. Until he meets Gemma Henare, a vivacious out-of-towner from New Zealand. What begins as a one-night stand soon becomes a turning point for Josh. He can’t get Gemma out of his head, even after she has left for home, and finds himself throwing caution to the wind for the first time in his life.
It’s not long before Josh is headed to New Zealand with only a backpack, some cash, and Gemma’s name to go on. But when he finally tracks her down, he finds his adventure is only just beginning. Equally infatuated, Gemma leads him on a whirlwind tour across the beautiful country, opening Josh up to life, lust, love, and all the messy heartache in between. Because, when love drags you somewhere, it might never let go even when you know you have to say goodbye.
Natasha’s Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Read This Book:
- I read this during my spring break and I can’t explain how absolutely fitting it was. Tanning by the pool and reading about Josh leaving his home to go on the adventure of a lifetime made me want to pack up my bathing suits and get on a plane to anywhere.
- I highlighted a TON of quotes in this book, but my favorite one by far says: “Choice, in the end, is freedom and freedom is everything in life.” It’s like Karina is preaching to me and I’m soaking in all her words of wisdom.
- Josh Miles himself is probably a perfect reason to read this book. He’s so real and scared and I felt like I could really relate to him. He sees an opportunity to change–completely uproot— his life and he takes it. He’s braver than he realizes and really, truly cares about Gemma, who is practically a stranger to him. His loyalty is something to be admired.
- Gemma is my girl. She comes off as this fearless, carefree gal who does what she wants, consequences be damned. I love that she shows Josh her sensitive side, even when she’s so insanely terrified of how he makes her feel. “How is it that being loved is even scarier than being in love?”
- This entire story felt like a vacation for me. I feel like I actually went to New Zealand and explored alongside Josh & Gemma; that’s how exquisitely descriptive and flawlessly written this book was. Props to Karina Halle for taking me on the coolest, craziest adventure without ever having to buy a plane ticket. 😉
If you’re a fan of reading about traveling, amazing friendships, characters with palpable chemistry and the desire to live life exactly the way you want to, don’t even hesitate. Get this book the second it releases March 31, 2015.
I’ll leave you with another favorite quote: “There’s a lot of happiness out there if you’re not afraid to reach for it.”
Karina Halle is the New York Times bestselling author of Where Sea Meets Sky, The Pact, Love in English, and other wild and romantic reads. A former travel writer and music journalist, she lives on an island off the coast of British Columbia with her husband and her rescue pup, where she drinks a lot of wine, hikes a lot of trails, and devours a lot of books.